“Don’t I know you from somewhere?
“Ok this is freaky. Three times in the last eight hours I was given your name as someone I had to talk to! “
“One lady saw you speak at an event a few months ago, the other lady read your book a year ago and the third person was a guy who coaches with you for the past 3 years”.
“So I jumped on Facebook to check you out and had to reach out to you”.
Wow. I was speechless. My first reaction was of concern. Who’s talking about me and what are they saying?
Then I remembered. I am purposefully getting out there so people notice me and talk about me.
It’s a good thing, even if they are saying bad things.
My strategy is working and she just proved it. Phew, that’s a relief because I teach this stuff!
Three years ago I travelled to California to hook up with my coaching group. In my private 1:1 with Suzanne Evans, she told me she only wanted me to do two things. Two? Aren’t there 742 things to do?
Nope. Two. Who can guess what they are?
Go do those things every day and you will be successful.
“I don’t think I like that advice”, I say.
“Too bad”, she says.
Fine (I’m in a huff), I’ll go do that.
I flew home on the red eye back to Toronto and that night I had a dinner networking event to go to. I didn’t want to go and found 100 excuses not to go.
I’m too tired, I’m not in the mood. I don’t know what to say. I have to see the kids. I hate networking. Shut up and just go won out.
I went. I gave away a door prize which gave me 2 minutes on stage in front of the room. I got a client. I made money.
End of story.
Rinse and repeat.
Go do these 10 things consistently for the next 12 months and you will absolutely get noticed, be remembered and stay front and centre when people are looking for what you got.
1. Get out of the house everyday. Which means get dressed and do your hair everyday.
2. Make networking a #1 priority in your business especially if you are just starting out. Don’t stop networking ever.
3. Craft a really simple message about who you are and what you do. Don’t flower it up because you will mess it up when you try to ‘remember’ it.
4. Be natural, be 100% You. If you struggle with this, there is a big self-confidence issue at play. (Trust me, I know!)
5. You must get really good at the sales conversation. Practice it everyday at the networking events, in the bathroom or in the car.
6. Be willing to look foolish because getting noticed means they see all sides of you! Be ok with that. No one is perfect.
7. Become a speaker…in front of the room. Getting in front of a group is the fastest way to get known as the expert.
8. Write everyday. A blog, an article, a message, an ezine, a post, whatever. AT the end of the year you will have the makings of a book!
9. When an excuse to not do one of these things rises up in your throat, bite your tongue and get your but(t) moving.
10. When your world is turned upside down, girl, make sure you got your big girl panties on!