Ah, it’s wonderful to be your own boss in the summertime! It must just stink to have to go in to work in the summer. You peer out of the window from 9 am to 5 pm, drooling over those people you see outside, wishing you were one of them too. Oh, you can go outside from 12 to 1 for lunch but hey, that’s just a teaser. Hopefully there is no working late on a warm summer night. I tell you, being your boss is wonderful in the summertime. Bliss. Pure and simple.
I bet you have friends or family members who are their own boss, who make the rules, like Fridays off. Instead of waiting for the Friday night rush up to the cottage, they are already there, 24 hours earlier! That’s got to hurt. Yup, that’s right; those folks are their own boss, in their business and in their life. Well that sucks…to be you, doesn’t it?
So what the heck are you going to do, just sit there and watch her live the life of her dreams or you going to join her? Here are a few simple yet effective ways to get off your tush and be the boss. You know the saying; “You can’t be the boss of me, I am!’ And that’s not just back talk anymore.
1. Stop thinking and start doing. You have this idea for a business, and have for eons. Google it, research it, talk about it, copy it…Just start doing something, anything.
2. Do it every day. Baby steps, baby. If all you got is 10 minutes to explore and learn, then that’s all you got. Just do it…for 10 minutes.
3. Talk about it. Don’t keep it inside your head and have an internal conversation, tell 2 friends who will tell 2 friends and so on. Get feedback and ideas from others, preferably the supportive kind. Ever heard of the term brain storming? Well now’s your chance to talk about something other than; ‘Did you hear what she did last night?’
4. Write about it. Get that big fat idea out of your big fat head…and on to paper. It’s the best way, frankly the only way, to get your idea from being just that. All good beginnings started on a restaurant napkin.
5. Research it. Thank God for the internet when you have a business idea. If you have the idea chances are someone else has too. They probably wrote the book, so read it. Now read some more. You want to know exactly how they did it so you can too.
6. Try it. Go ahead; try it out on a small scale. Work for someone else who is doing it so you can learn the tricks of the trade.
7. Go for it. Part time, full time, anytime. Make it part of your everyday. Make it part of who you are.
8. Live it.
9. Breathe it.
10. Be it.
You know you want it. You want it so bad you can taste it. But it always seems to be a little too far out of your reach. Or so you say. Follow these simple yet effective steps and you will not be chasing your tail anymore. Someone else will be.